Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wow

Can you believe that I have been here for almost two months? I sure can't. I leave a week and a few hours from now, heading to Turkey to meet some friends. My time of study is almost over (even though this has been almost more of an educational vacation).

Last two weeks has been a fairly touristy one---went to the Hermitage twice, went to Peterhoff, and did a lot of other last minute things. Pictures will be up eventually. Already up on facebook, if you follow that. Now all that is left is a boat ride down the Neva watching the bridges open. I think that that is planned for Friday.

I have no idea where to start on how this experience has effected me. I have loved it, been frustrated by it, close to tears, and have died of laughter from a Russian joke (that I actually understood!) Overall, I would say that the experience has been a positive one.

I love St Petersburg and I want to come back. But now that I have been here, I know that when I return, I will do some things differently and some things exactly the same. It will be hard leaving the new friends that I have made here, but really, now I have an even better reason to return.

This last week here will be a good one; I can feel it. I was sick, but am feeling better. The weather has cleared up and its supposed to be in the 80's for the next three days. Looking forward to some beach time.

I wish I could say that my Russian has gotten magically better and I am now super fluent, but alas, that is not the case. What has happened is that I finally understand all of the things I should have before, but never did. My vocabulary has increased tenfold (if not a hundredfold) and I feel much more comfortable speaking in my broken Russian then I ever have before. I wish I could retake 2nd year Russian. I would get out so much more then I did last year.

Well, as it is after midnight (the sun still has not set) I should probably head to bed. My last day of normal class schedule/teachers is tomorrow and I want to be able to enjoy it.

See y'all in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment