Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Metro

My goodness. I WISH Minneapolis had a metro system. The light rail really does not cut it. Cannot remember if I have previously mentioned how far of a trek it is for me to get to school every day, but I can tell you that it would be more then twice as long without the metro.

To get to school, I walk for 20-25 min to the metro station, ride the metro 3 stops, switch lines, ride one more stop, and then get off for a 30-40 min walk to school. It usually takes me between an hour and 20 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes to get to school. It all depends on the traffic, how tired I am, and if I get distracted while walking (which I usually do). There is just so much to look at! And I love listening in on Russian conversations that I really do not understand.

The metro is fairly simple to use. I found the Stockholm metro system a bit more complicated.

Here is the metro map, English-fied. (Not mine, borrowing it from St Pete's tourist site)

This map also shows you that St Petersburg is made up of several different islands, something that I did not conceptualize beforehand. I sadly do not live on the main island, so my area is mostly old high-rises that look like giant building blocks. But I do find some beauty in it all.

Basically, this post is to say that I love the Metro. And that I think every big/mid-size city should have one.

p.s. Some of these metro stations have the longest escalators that I have ever seen. Kinda scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment